Saturday, March 14, 2009

German Pancake

German Pancake


I have this love-hate affair with pancakes.
LOVE eating them but HATE making them.
It’s so tedious standing over a hot griddle, flipping them one by one.
Furthermore, I never get to sit down properly and eat when I serve pancakes cuz I munch as I cook. (~I am stuffed by the time I am into making my 3rd pancake.~ *HA*)
Unless, I prepare them ahead of time & leave them in a moderate oven to keep warm, this rarely happen cuz I rather snuggle up in bed then wake up earlier to make breakie.

Sometime back, I stumbled on a German Pancake recipe.
Goggled a bit & found out that most recipes shared online are more or less the same.
This pancake is a great solution to a quick breakie or brunch.
It’s just so easy to put together….simply gather all the ingredients, mix & bake.

For those who have not eaten them before, let me tell U, this is no way similar to your regular fluffy pancakes or hotcakes.
It’s more like an eggy pudding but denser, it should be eaten right away.
And without fail each time, this pancake will puff up about 3 inches at the edges yet the center will remain deflated, quite a sight.
But once out of the oven, it will loose about an inch or more, still tall like what U see in the pix above.

Today, I made strawberry sauce to accompany the pancakes since I have lots & lots of berries sitting in the fridge.
Apple sauce is another good healthy wholesome alternative.

Overall, I am not a fan of German Pancakes, but it’s a breakfast repertoire cuz little elf loves digging into them.

German Pancake

What U need:

  • 50g Butter
  • 150g Flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 6 eggs - lightly beaten
  • 60g sugar
  • ¼ tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • Dash of cinnamon

Method:

  1. Melt the butter in a 9 x 13 baking pan.
  2. Mix all other ingredients together.
  3. Pour batter onto the pan.
  4. Bake at 180°C for 30-40 minutes.

post signature