Saturday, May 5, 2007

糖 心 蛋 & Shoyu Ramen


The first time I ate 糖 心 蛋 was more than 10 years ago at a Ramen joint in Osaka.
When I saw these eggs served on the noodles….I was facinated wondering how these eggs were cooked.

As U can see the yolk is still runny, but the egg white looked like it was cooked in the braising sauce for a long time to achieve that deep dark colour. If U look at our Chinese 鲁 蛋, U know that the eggs had been cooked for a long time in the braising sauce in order to achieve the deep colour.

To me it was like some work of a great culinary chef… where mere mortal like me can ever achieve.
Imagine…braising an egg without cooking the yolk.

But I was wrong……….read on.

I went around asking my Japanese colleagues on how to achieve these effect on the egg. I was given a few variations…but mostly similar method. I went and combined all the recipes & came up with this recipe which I have been using ever since.

Here, I would like to share with U….the steps in making these tasty eggs.
Bet U’ll be awed at how simple it really is to make them….U don't need any skills to make these egges. Rest assured they are simpler than frying a sunny side up.

What U need:

  • 6 Eggs
  • ½ cup Shoyu (Japanese Soya Sauce)
  • ½ cup Mirin
  • ¼ cup Jap rice wine
  • 2 cups Cold water
  • A pot of iced-water for cooling the boiled eggs
  • A large zip-lock bag

Method:

  1. Boil the eggs for 4 mins not more...not less ….uncovered.
  2. Remove immediately & immerge the eggs into the pot of iced-water for 15mins.
  3. Meanwhile prepare and boil the above liquid & set aside to cool, better if it's chilled (U may prepare it earlier).
  4. Peel eggs & place them into the zip-lock bag.
  5. Pour in the liquid till all eggs are fully covered.
  6. Chill for at least 12 hrs.

Note:

  1. For fear of the zip-lock bag bursting, do place it in a container.
  2. When peeling the eggs, do handle with care.....they are very fragile.
  3. Whenever I have Ramen or Udon on my meal plan for the week, I’ll prepare these eggs in advance.

Today is Shoyu Ramen day……here’s a bowl I had for lunch earlier.

Look at how beautiful the egg yolks are.

post signature