Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Bi Bim-Bap & Mi Yeok-Guk

If U noticed, I eat Korean food regularly.
Let’s just say…I like my food spicy.
Give me Thai … Sichuan or anything tongue burning….

I will happily dig in.
Besides cooking my own…..I will eat out at Korean Restaurants once a week.

If there is a scale for one’s ‘hot & spicy’ tolerance…

I think I will score a 4 outta 5.

So, U may wonder if my 2 boyfriends take so much spice too.
Heh! Sad to say… Nope!!! There are a minus 5 on the scale.

When I am cooking, I will separate their portions and add chili to mine.

Today's Bi Bim Bap is easy cuz the chilli sauce (Go Chu-Jang) is only added when you are ready to dig in.

Actually cooking Korean food is relatively simple …but it's a tad time consuming.
U need to prepare ahead of time… lots of julienne, chopping, slicing, marinating etc involved.

To compliment today’s lunch I made Mi-Yeok-Guk or Seaweed Soup.
In Korea this is also called a Birthday Soup. Traditionally this soup is served bright & early on the morning to the person who is celebrating his birthday.

Why do people have it on a birthday?
(Info adapted from KoreanKitchen)

* Brown seaweed soup was actually consumed by a woman who delivered a
child. Because it helps to
clean blood vessels and to produce milk, it has
abundant iodine to reduce the
swollen body and calcium to help build strong
bones, which are all important for
both mother and child.

* It is
symbolic to have on a birthday, because while a baby’s mother has this soup, the
baby also eats it through the milk.
Though, my theory is to remind people
about their mother’s hard work for
delivering them and say thank you to
their mother on their birthday. So on your
birthday, you should say thank
you to your mother.
The above info is good to know…..and this soup is eaten on normal days too.

Now, if you wanna doing something different for your loved one on their brithday, serve this soup, maybe attach a note with the meaning of the soup. I am sure the recipient will be filled with warmth throughout the days.

Seaweed Soup (Mi Yeok-Guk)

What U need:
  • 100g Korean dried seaweed – soaked for 15mins till soft
  • 2tbsp Sesame oil
  • 1tbsp Garlic – crushed
  • 500g Meat – Beef (but I always use pork)
  • 4cups Water
  • Fish sauce for seasoning

Method:

  1. Cut the soft seaweed to small pieces.
  2. Heat sesame oil in pan.
  3. Add garlic, seaweed, meat & fry for 10mis till fragrant.
  4. Add water & bring to boil.
  5. Simmer for 45mins .
  6. Season with fish sauce.
  7. Serve hot.

Notes:

I will add a fish stock cube to make the soup more flavorful.
As usual, adjust the condiment that suit your family.

post signature