Sunday, May 13, 2007

Kimchi Chi-gae


With my homemade Kimchi, I made the popular KimchiChi-gae or Kimchi Stew.

Again, some stew sold at restaurants or food-courts are not rich & spicy enough.
Maybe it’s to please the local palette thus the chef goes light handed. Many a times at food courts, I am sure U’ll notice it’s the non-Korean mending the store & standing behind the stove. How authentic can they be?

I am a sucker for hot, chilli, tongue numbing stew. To get it, I usually make my own.
If U are interested in my recipe, here goes –

What U need:

  • 2cups Water
  • 1cup Kimchi brine
  • 1cup Kimchi - chopped
  • 3 tbsp Go Chu-jang
  • 1 large Onion - minced
  • 100g Garlic - minced
  • 3 stalks scallions - sliced
  • 2 pkt Enoki mushroom
  • 1 can Tuna flakes in oil
  • 1 pkt Tofu-cubed

Method:

  1. In a pan, add water and kimchi brine & bring to boil.
  2. Add kimchi & go chu-jang...con’t boiling.
  3. When it bubbles, add onion, garlic, scallions, enoki, tuna with the oil & bring to boil.
  4. Simmer for 30 mins.
  5. Before serving, add tofu & boil for 5 mins.
  6. Serve with hot white rice.

Notes:

The kimchi is the main attraction in this stew.
A good batch of kimchi can make a huge difference.
Whenever I want to have some kimchi stew, I’ll prepare a batch of extra salty kimchi.
This is because once the kimchi is simmered in the broth; it will release the sour & salty essence from the leaves thus flavoring the stew. If U noticed, I do not add any salt at all.
U may use meat too...just simply fry the meat & proceed with the recipe.

post signature