Sunday, March 4, 2007

Ddeokbokki

Ddeokbokki…. is the most common snack/meal in Korea.
U can find mini vans selling them off the streets.
I have tasted it once in Korea…..but can only vaguely remember how it tasted...cuz that was like 10 odd years back.
But after watching countless K-dramas & seeing the actors eating them, made me crave for them too.
Though we can’t have them off the streets like in Korea, I will defintely eat some when I dine at Korean restaurants.
This dish don’t come cheap….A stall at a certain food-court in town sells them for a dollar a piece. I love them so much that I went around looking for the recipe.

I realised that there are lots of variations to this dish.
So, after few attempts…..I’ve finally found the taste that I like.

Here’s the Ddeokbokki I made earlier….



What U need:

  • 4tbsp Cooking oil
  • 4tbsp Garlic - minced
  • 4tbsp Korean chilli paste
  • 1tbsp Chilli powder
  • 1tbsp Chicken seasoning powder
  • 2tbsp Corn syrup
  • 400g Korean rice cake
  • 1 cup Water
  • 100g Fish cake
  • 1 med Wong bok
  • 2tsp White sesame seeds
  • 1bundle Spring onions

Method:

  1. Wash & rinse rice cake, soak for 15mins.
  2. Heat wok, add cooking oil.
  3. Add minced garlic & fry till fragrant.
  4. Add chilli paste & fry for 5mins.
  5. Add chilli powder, chicken powder, corn syrup & fry till well mixed.
  6. Add rice cake & fry for 5-8mins till well coated with the hot paste.
  7. Add fish cake….mix slightly.
  8. Add water & mix well & simmer for 5mins.
  9. Add wong bok & con’t to simmer till veg. is soft.
  10. Serve hot & garnish with white sesame seeds, spring onions & kimchi to complete the meal.

Notes:

  • My ingredient measurement is only a guideline, pls taste & add more chilli paste or corn syrup if it’s not spicy enough.
  • If you can’t take spiciness, go easy on the chilli & increase gradually.
    Besides fish cake, I like to have my rice cakes with enoki mushrooms, Yong Tau Hu. Both goes very well with the chilli paste.
  • As for the amount of rice cake, again U may add or reduce.
  • Same goes to the fish cake, mushrooms etc.
  • Hard boiled eggs & Korean noodles are also great complements.

post signature